Thursday, January 26, 2012

The one about my classes

I'm going to be straight up, this will probably be a pretty brief and boring post about my classes and teachers. I unfortunately don't have anything super exciting to tell you since I just posted about Siena and Pisa the other day and this week has mostly been filled with classes, "family" dinners and some minor shenanigans that aren't worth writing about just yet...so read on if you'd like, or wait for the next (more exciting post) the choice is yours!


This semester I am taking 5 classes (6 if you include my global connection reflection course, an easy online course required by Arcadia). It sounds like a lot more than it is. The classes I am enrolled in are: Italian, Pagans and Christians, Roman Civilization, Education Internship and History of Food and Culture in Italy. For the most part, I like them all.

Italian. Clearly I am taking this class because I am in Italy...but ironically it is probably my least favorite class. I often confuse the French I know and the little Spanish with Italian. "Voi"...an Italian word meaning "you all" is very commonly used. I pronounce it "v-wa" aka french sounding, and everyday my professor, Elgin, corrects me. She has recognized that I took French. The correct way to say it is "v-oy". Luckily our professor is cool and she realizes most of us never took Italian, and therefore the Spanish and French most of us know gets in the way. Sometimes its helpful...sometimes its hurtful.

Pagans and Christians. This is a class about drum-roll please...pagans and Christians! It actually can be quite interesting. Our professor, Alessandro, is Italian with mad fashion and an accent that sometimes, but not usually, gets in the way. This semester we are comparing and contrasting the Pagan faiths to the Christian faith. We have started so far looking at Romans and Greeks. So far we have mostly focused on Greek mythology--you  know Zeus, Aphrodite, Titans, Hercules etc. and it is really interesting. I thought I was going to hate the class but its turning out alright!

Roman Civilization. A class that focuses on the Roman Empire and such. Giampiero (pronounced kind of like Jean-Pierre) is an awesome professor. He adds a little humor to the class when possible. So far we have learned a lot about Vesuvius and Pompeii and Herculaneum (aka the volcano that erupted and destroyed everything). I am still unsure how I feel about this class, but I think it could be cool.

Education Internship. We have only met for this class once so far. You had to apply for the internship and be selected. Basically, we get to go to a local Italian high school and work with the students in their English classrooms. I am really excited for this opportunity. Then once a week we meet as a class and our professor, Christian, leads us in a discussion where we share our experiences. Could be Fun!

History of Food and Culture in Italy. Love Love Love. This class is awesome. Taught by Simon, a British bloke with his awesome accent. We have learned about "The Great Italian Food Psychosis" and so much more. The other day we had an olive oil tasting. We looked at a "good" olive oil and a "bad" olive oil. I could taste the difference. Anyway, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the best but there are still different gradations of it and you should only use certain kinds for certain situations. A bad EVOO can be used to cook with, a good EVOO should be used in situations such as dipping your bread or making a salad dressing. We also smelled a "mystery" substance known as Garum in Roman times and we tried to guess what it was. I was one of the few who knew what it was...Worcestershire sauce (Thanks Dad). So far I would say that this is my favorite class.


The coolest thing I would say about this semester, is almost all of my classes with the exception if Italian take you on at least one field trip. I will be going to places like Pompeii, Florence and Rome. The experiences we get on the trips aren't like no other because we often get to do some "behind the scenes" type things that normally wouldn't happen if you visited yourself! The other nice thing is we only have classes Monday through Thursday so we can travel Friday, Saturday and Sunday if we want!


If you'd like to learn more about Umbra Institute head on over here, you can look up somethings that are going on or even creep on my professors. Or you can go on facebook here. Wow I sound like I am selling you something!

Anyway, now you have some insight into my everyday life in Perugia.

Grazie, Arielle

No comments:

Post a Comment